Taking Steps

Trouble ensues when you let monsters talk pretty. Reach me at takingsteps at gmail dot com!

Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

06 May 2007

slings and arrows

So last night I'm having dinner with my folks--my father's birthday, and my younger brother just clear of a year of college--and we're reading the news in a slow spot afterwards.
"Oh," says my mother, with venom. "I'm so glad Paris Hilton is going to jail."
"Yeah," echoes my brother, generally a sweet kid, but hanging out lately with a few too many macho-men. "She's such a whore."

It gave me pause, but of course I jumped in: "Is your problem that she was driving drunk, or that she has sex?" Spluttering from both about her obnoxiousness. "Yes, but is it good she's doing time because she's a rich, entitled person who thinks she can do whatever she wants, or because she doesn't wear much clothing?" My mother notes, quietly, that we could be using 'the dreaded c-word.' At that point, I really had to hold myself back, while my brother insisted that, no, he has no problem with people having sex, I mean, no problem with women, you know, it's just that--

So I look him right in the eye. "Then say what you mean. If your problem with her is that she has a sense of entitlement, criticize that. If your problem is that she's committed a crime, criticize that. The sex she has and the way she dresses have nothing to do with it. Precision of language. You get yourself into trouble otherwise."

At this point there's more spluttering about 'just kidding' and an evasion joke about, ha-ha, what's the world coming to when a guy can't down a beer and call some woman a bitch, and, god, hearing about this and that all the time, so I finally remind him, "Look, is she the problem, or the media machine that pays attention?"


I am not a fan of Ms. Hilton, myself. I think she represents a great deal of what is wrong with our society. But she herself is not only not the problem, she is beside the point.

Precision of language.
How many times a day do I hear unpleasant things or undesired qualities called 'lame,' for instance? Is your problem that your taste in music can't walk, and is similar to a person who can't? Frankly, I've heard that one thrown around, even in feminist circles, over and over, and had to work to purge it from my own daily vocabulary. But it's not saying what you mean. Criticisms and arguments work better when they're well-aimed; language like 'lame' is a scattershot, hitting nearby scenery you'd best leave alone. It weakens your point and does harm--even low-level harm, harm you'd like to ignore--to people to whom you should be an ally. Yeah, the hipster cred for your thumbs-down and 'laaaaame' plays well to the audience, but it won't hold.

An entitled rich white woman who drives drunk with a suspended license--there's a lot to aim at, there, accurate things, valid criticisms. Shooting at her sex life is not only irrelevant, it's insulting to the intelligence of you and your audience. You can do better. You can find ways to get your point across--even a vicious, hardcore point--without, say, using "whore" and embarrassing yourself while reinforcing a nasty cultural notion of women's sexuality at the same time. Trust yourself to come up with something scathingly accurate. Trust the people listening to get it.

It goes on and on. When someone does something vile, you serve nobody by dismissing them as a nutjob. Calling them crazy not only absolves them of responsibility for their actions, it lets every mentally-ill person in earshot that somewhere in your head they're equivalently dangerously unstable. You may not mean it at the time, but that's the point. You get sloppy with your language, you reinforce plenty of ideas you (hopefully) would rather not, you devalue innocent people, and, meanwhile, you let your target off the hook. You didn't mean it? Well, good. Say what you mean, then.

I just get so tired of this nonsense. I get tired of giving Michelle Malkin ammunition to pretend that liberalism is racist by pointing out the people who criticize her racist, fascist, eliminationist ideas by making cracks about her sex and her heritage--and not just because I'm a Filipina who really can take about a minute of the 'ruv you rong time' before I start making fists. Don't hate 'Usama bin Laden for being Arab, hate him because he kills lots of people and thinks that's an okay solution to the world's problems. Don't nail George Bush for being an alcoholic, nail him for implementing disastrously shortsighted, imperialist, profit-first policies abroad and ignorant, theocratic, authoritarian ones at home.

You can do better. You can do much better. It's not about tiptoeing around and being "PC." It's not even about avoiding offending people, which is quite the bugbear anyway--then folk get to dance around pretending that this is all about oversensitive folks with hurt feelings, instead of real concerns and critiques. It's about aim, among many other things. Get people on their actual crimes. When you waste your words on nonsense like "whore" and "lame" and "bitch" and "psycho," you fail to aim your criticism at the actual problems, all while doing harm to bystanders. You let the offenders off the hook and elbow your neighbor in the face while you're doing it. You know better than that.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger arielladrake said...

*applauds* I have this argument with people myself. And yeah, pretty much all of us have to work to get that sort of language-use out of our vocabulary, I still catch myself on 'lame' and 'retarded', but there's something I always find a bit distasteful about folks who get all cranky about the fact that someone's asking them to think about what they're saying before they shoot their damn mouth off. And you're right, it's not just about not being offensive; it's about actually being precise and plainspeaking. And I'm really not seeing why that's so awful.

6/5/07 20:03  
Blogger brownfemipower said...

Don't nail George Bush for being an alcoholic, nail him for implementing disastrously shortsighted, imperialist, profit-first policies abroad and ignorant, theocratic, authoritarian ones at home.M

interestingly, I don't really see a lot of people slamming on him cuz he had an alcohol problem. I mean, I don't hear a lot of people who watch a news report about more soldiers dying and then them going, "Fucking drunk ass bastard". you know? He's just a plain old bastard. or a murdering bastard. or something along those lines.

WHich makes me wonder how much of that has to do with the fact he's a white dude.

anyway, really great post--and oh man, YES do I have to work on the Lame thing. That one is so ingrained, I had to stop and remind myself when reading this--oh, yeah, lame originally meant...

6/5/07 21:21  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you. I've actually found myself using such offhand insults as "lame" more frequently since, well, August. I think we're found our common denominator. ALL THE PATRIARCHY'S FAULT.

*ahem*

And nobody else will get that, or I'll completely derail this thread.

What's wrong with more generic insults like "ridiculous," "full of shit" or "crap"? Two of those use curse words! They're certainly not quaint phrases from Leave It To Beaver, so why do they sound so...unimaginative to my ears? "Lame" and "retarded" aren't any more creative.

I know! Let's make up phrases.

6/5/07 23:15  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know your whole point was that we should be more specific in our insults and complaints, but people are lazy. We're not all Jed Bartlet--or you.

6/5/07 23:20  
Blogger graceoflarkspur said...

Actually, I prefer to nail The Official Dub on his cocaine habits, and the fact he "saw Jesus". The leader of the free world being off-and-on schizoaffective bothers me more than being an imperialist, because, well, I live in an empire. If he starts running it like a commune tomorrow, all my social contracts are going to be null and void.

7/5/07 08:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, i live in oakland ca, and found your blog a few weeks ago via a random queer friend's link. thanks for sharing particularly astute commentary here. and yesterday's post re: the value of precision--yes. someone else, perhaps emi koyama? has made a similar point too...or maybe it was a bay area writer.... anyway, you laid it out quite nicely, and i'll encourage others to take notice. as a lame-identified person, i find slinging around sloppy insults doesn't help anyone. let me know if you'd like me to send a copy of other stuff i've written touching on that. thx again, askew/sq-- squesting@yahoo.com

8/5/07 00:08  
Blogger bint alshamsa said...

This is something that I really need to work on too. I try to explain to my daughter what those words really mean but it won't help if I am also guilty of using them, even occasionally.

8/5/07 06:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My personal least favorite? "That's so gay." I ask my self, "How can you feel alright about yourself as a person if you're using a sexual orientation as a derrogation?" I mean, this is beside the fact that calling something "gay" makes no perceptible sense.

Anywho: I appreciate the argument you make here. You make it with, as ever, panache. (And a laptop, probably. And some servers.)

Cheers!

8/5/07 08:08  
Blogger belledame222 said...

applause. and good on you for calling out the fam--that can be the hardest, sometimes

8/5/07 10:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. And so impressive that you actually said a good chunk of it loud! Usually in similar situations, I'm the one doing the spluttering, which is never particularly eloquent.

I'll echo others in thanking you for pointing out the problems with 'lame'--I'll have to work on that myself. 'Gay' and 'retarded' were never part of my vernacular, but unfotunately 'douche' crept in about a year ago...

8/5/07 13:40  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had a really hard time breaking my brother of "gay" as a slur, when he was in middle school. To his credit, I later overheard him telling a friend that using it as a slur was wrong, so. Bonus points! Now I'm working on getting my sister to stop using "retarded". Oddly, I don't think I ever heard her use it till she hit high school.

And I know I still have work to do as well - and your post has got me thinking about how I use "lame" far too often and should probably stop. Thank you for that.

9/5/07 19:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, thank you. This distinction between the meaningless term "political correctness" - as a dimension, I guess, of politeness, which is a dimension of lying - and accuracy in speaking has been something I've been trying to crystallise for myself for years. To attack a woman for being a whore isn't (just) "politically incorrect" or bad manners or mean or some kind of mysterious cultural taboo. It's demonstrably, straightforwardly, wrong, both in the accuracy sense and in the morality sense. Thanks for putting it so beautifully.

10/5/07 07:09  
Blogger TelĂ©makhos Mitera said...

It's not just in the slings and arrows, I'm afraid. I'm seeing language used in increasingly strange ways at work, which makes me think that imprecise language is symptomatic of imprecise thought. People grope for ways to express themselves, and they pull out words like "learnings" and "rearchitecting". I feel as though people are allowed to sidle up to their point, but use essentially inoffensive jargon to express themselves, thereby weakening what they were trying to say.

Slightly beside your elegantly made point, I know. Just thought I'd share.

(Also, irony points to bfp)

11/5/07 23:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic Post! Koufax!!

21/5/07 15:04  
Blogger Pat Greene said...

Brava. It make me angry when posters and commenters on some of the larger left-leaning blogs make nasty comments about, say, Ann Coulter's looks. It's totally irrelevant. And hypocritical, since they inevitably go on to scream about her bigotry.

16/6/07 14:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home