so much depends upon a red wheelbarrow
Well, Sylvia has got a bunch of us digging out our books of poetry to jump on the Neruda bandwagon. If you follow the links, you'll see that it's spread, after the manner of a lot of virulent cliches in a proverbially navigable medium, and so on, but it twigged me.
Pretty much once a year, my mother gives me a book of poetry, usually Latin American poetry. Our relationship was...strained, for a long time, and poetry was one of the few things we could agree on or share. I have one of her old college books from before she dropped out way back when, with her notes in the margins. She never got the degree to "prove" it, but she's got good taste in verse. So Neruda brings me to that--that difficulty, that strain for Home and connection, that you see in a lot of his pastoral stuff, because I miss the relationship I always thought I'd have with my mother, that we still strain for, without letting on to the other how hard it is. He brings me to my pulling for my roots, because if my mother and her parents hadn't worked so hard to assimilate in the U.S., I'd probably have grown up speaking Spanish along with my English, and it's always cut at me how bad my Spanish is, and loving Spanish poetry reminds me of the language's greatness and my inadequacy in the face of it and my pride at coming from the same place it does. It cuts me off from extended family, and from community; ironically, it's a big part of my mestiza identity, that voicelessness, that catch in my throat when I realize I don't know how to say what I want to say, especially when it's I'm yours.
Poetry does this.
Neruda brings me back to a girl I knew in high school, a costarricense exchange student named Andrea who tutored me in Spanish for a while. I was, of course, infatuated, and I use the word "tutored" loosely; Andrea and I would sit together in the library, a meter apart in different chairs most of the time, and read Pablo Neruda to each other, quietly, making eye contact and breaking it, shy teenagers. This was my real education in Spanish; my teachers let me sleep through class so long as I kept acing tests, and I kept acing tests so long as Andrea was willing to gently tell me that my D's were a little too hard, and should have more of a 'th' in them, or that the word I'd just read was not the usual one to use. I began to dream in Spanish. The elaborate code my best friend and I had to talk about people we were crushing on melted away because I only had one person to be breathless about.
After a while, neither of us ever really bringing up what happens between teenagers who spend hours and hours together quietly reading Neruda and making furtive eye contact, I asked her to a dance. It didn't work out. At the very end of the night, we had one dance together, and promised to never forget each other, as teenagers do, and she struggled to translate gentil in order to tell me why I wasn't like anyone else she knew. And then she went back to Costa Rica, and grew up, and I went back to the city limit, and grew up. I still think of this as one of the most fulfilling romantic experiences of my life.
Poetry does this.
As has been pointed out, Neruda has his flaws. His politics are arguable; his love poetry, often solipsistic; his personal life, full of holes; but he was a poet, through and through.
Poetry does something. I was surprised to find writing I had done called "poetry" recently; I hadn't thought of it that way when I wrote it, but as it turns out, it was read as poetry. This is important. How do you know poetry?
You know it because you read it as poetry. Napkin scribblings and fortune cookies are poetry, sometimes. Sometimes poetry comes as sonnets; sometimes it's the perfect haiku written and burned before certain death, and given to the wind; sometimes it's a record in sand. You know it because of what it does to you. You know it because of what it does in you.
It connects you to something. It connects you to your history as sure as the smell of your parents' kitchen or the song you heard once, during a moment of public shame.
Poetry connects me and my mother despite the countless times we've broken each other's hearts, and when I read her reactions to poetry from her twentysomething-age notes in the book I filched, I understand more of why that heartbreak happens. It takes me to my hilarious stint as a would-be Beatnik, reading poetry with gushing sincerity in the only late-night coffeehouse in my hometown, while I came to terms with the sorts of emotions you have to deal with, once you're old enough to read poetry with gushing sincerity. Poetry reminds me of the increasingly elaborate romantic gestures I made, fruitlessly, in my attempts to rescue my first, emotionally abusive, relationship. Poetry does this.
It connects things. You, to your history. Your history, to a great struggle. A great struggle, to a child's picture on a refrigerator. A child's picture to a ragged scar, a scar to a heartbeat, a heartbeat to a death, a death to a simple note, a note to a national breakdown. You know it when you see it. It does something in you. We want to move the planet, we need a lot of things--but we need poets, without a doubt.
With that, here's my contribution to the Neruda meme:
Pretty much once a year, my mother gives me a book of poetry, usually Latin American poetry. Our relationship was...strained, for a long time, and poetry was one of the few things we could agree on or share. I have one of her old college books from before she dropped out way back when, with her notes in the margins. She never got the degree to "prove" it, but she's got good taste in verse. So Neruda brings me to that--that difficulty, that strain for Home and connection, that you see in a lot of his pastoral stuff, because I miss the relationship I always thought I'd have with my mother, that we still strain for, without letting on to the other how hard it is. He brings me to my pulling for my roots, because if my mother and her parents hadn't worked so hard to assimilate in the U.S., I'd probably have grown up speaking Spanish along with my English, and it's always cut at me how bad my Spanish is, and loving Spanish poetry reminds me of the language's greatness and my inadequacy in the face of it and my pride at coming from the same place it does. It cuts me off from extended family, and from community; ironically, it's a big part of my mestiza identity, that voicelessness, that catch in my throat when I realize I don't know how to say what I want to say, especially when it's I'm yours.
Poetry does this.
Neruda brings me back to a girl I knew in high school, a costarricense exchange student named Andrea who tutored me in Spanish for a while. I was, of course, infatuated, and I use the word "tutored" loosely; Andrea and I would sit together in the library, a meter apart in different chairs most of the time, and read Pablo Neruda to each other, quietly, making eye contact and breaking it, shy teenagers. This was my real education in Spanish; my teachers let me sleep through class so long as I kept acing tests, and I kept acing tests so long as Andrea was willing to gently tell me that my D's were a little too hard, and should have more of a 'th' in them, or that the word I'd just read was not the usual one to use. I began to dream in Spanish. The elaborate code my best friend and I had to talk about people we were crushing on melted away because I only had one person to be breathless about.
After a while, neither of us ever really bringing up what happens between teenagers who spend hours and hours together quietly reading Neruda and making furtive eye contact, I asked her to a dance. It didn't work out. At the very end of the night, we had one dance together, and promised to never forget each other, as teenagers do, and she struggled to translate gentil in order to tell me why I wasn't like anyone else she knew. And then she went back to Costa Rica, and grew up, and I went back to the city limit, and grew up. I still think of this as one of the most fulfilling romantic experiences of my life.
Poetry does this.
As has been pointed out, Neruda has his flaws. His politics are arguable; his love poetry, often solipsistic; his personal life, full of holes; but he was a poet, through and through.
Poetry does something. I was surprised to find writing I had done called "poetry" recently; I hadn't thought of it that way when I wrote it, but as it turns out, it was read as poetry. This is important. How do you know poetry?
You know it because you read it as poetry. Napkin scribblings and fortune cookies are poetry, sometimes. Sometimes poetry comes as sonnets; sometimes it's the perfect haiku written and burned before certain death, and given to the wind; sometimes it's a record in sand. You know it because of what it does to you. You know it because of what it does in you.
It connects you to something. It connects you to your history as sure as the smell of your parents' kitchen or the song you heard once, during a moment of public shame.
Poetry connects me and my mother despite the countless times we've broken each other's hearts, and when I read her reactions to poetry from her twentysomething-age notes in the book I filched, I understand more of why that heartbreak happens. It takes me to my hilarious stint as a would-be Beatnik, reading poetry with gushing sincerity in the only late-night coffeehouse in my hometown, while I came to terms with the sorts of emotions you have to deal with, once you're old enough to read poetry with gushing sincerity. Poetry reminds me of the increasingly elaborate romantic gestures I made, fruitlessly, in my attempts to rescue my first, emotionally abusive, relationship. Poetry does this.
It connects things. You, to your history. Your history, to a great struggle. A great struggle, to a child's picture on a refrigerator. A child's picture to a ragged scar, a scar to a heartbeat, a heartbeat to a death, a death to a simple note, a note to a national breakdown. You know it when you see it. It does something in you. We want to move the planet, we need a lot of things--but we need poets, without a doubt.
With that, here's my contribution to the Neruda meme:
Absence (Ausencia)
I have scarcely left you
when you go in me, crystalline,
or trembling,
or uneasy, wounded by me
or overwhelmed with love, as when your eyes
close upon the gift of life
that without cease I give you.
My love,
we have found each other
thirsty and we have
drunk up all the water and the blood,
we found each other
hungry
and we bit each other
as fire bites,
leaving wounds in us.
But wait for me,
keep for me your sweetness.
I will give you too
a rose.
Apenas te he dejado,
vas en mí, cristalina
o temblorosa,
o inquieta, herida por mí mismo
o colmada de amor, como cuando tus ojos
se cierran sobre el don de la vida
que sin cesar te entrego.
Amor mío,
nos hemos encontrado
sedientos y nos hemos
bebido toda el agua y la sangre,
nos encontramos
con hambre
y nos mordimos
como el fuego muerde,
dejándonos heridas.
Pero espérame,
guárdame tu dulzura.
Yo te daré también
una rosa.
Pablo Neruda, tr. Donald D. Walsh, from "Los versos del Capitán."
Labels: metablogging, remembered
10 Comments:
Thanks for this wonderful testament to the power of poetry. I'll be linking.
It makes me happy to know the world has you in it. Thank you for sharing your words with all of us.
Beautiful. Yes, poetry does all that. It's a big part of my teen years too.
I love the Spanish language.
Dammit to hell that I never took my high-school/college Spanish foundation to a Spanish-speaking country for a year or so to really master it.
Now I'm an old married mom with a damn JOB who could never take off to do so.
As a result, I have horrible Spainish.
PS> I second Mitzibel.
I definitely agree with your comment that poetry, or good poetry, has the power to evoke a very strong emotional reaction.
The only other language I'm fluent in is Chinese, however, I've found that in translation, poems that I otherwise find quite powerful, I have no reaction to.
At least in terms of Chinese, I think the power of the poem in its original language can be nearly impossible to translate.
Yay.
Just yay.
lovelesscynic, I can't imagine how Chinese poetry could really come across in translation to a non-tonal language like English. I've read some in translation, and adored it, but it's always been with the understanding that I'm missing something important.
I've felt similarly when studying Arabic poetry. While I've sat with an expert and had them go word-for-word through the original to point out all the shades you can't translate, it really--first and foremost--hammered home what they told us over and over again, that "there is no translation without interpretation." Especially when you're going from different language families and have to deal with stacked meanings on vowelless triliteral roots, or tones, or whatever.
I guess it just makes me more of a fan of poetry, in the end, and wish that I had more of a talent for learning languages. I always told myself that I'd consider myself competent in a language when I could understand poetry in it.
I think the way you studied Arabic poetry is the best way if you don't really know the language. At least you get a better idea of the shape of the thing.
I think that translations of Chinese poetry can get the general gist across, but they tend to get overly flowery. Because of sheer density of the Chinese text itself, there's just too much there to unpack to do justice.
Translation is a fascinating process although sort of difficult to nail down. As is poetry.
agreed.
I took a translation/adaptation class once. it was interesting. you find yourself deciding between: what gives the most literal translation and what gives the best approximation of the feel of the original, as well as what sounds the best in English. often you can't have it all, it turns out.
oh, and my mom's a part-time professional translator these days, mostly Latin American authors (Sp-->Eng).
unfortunately i do not share her fluency.
i took a crack at fiddling with the translation of a short Neruda poem just now; i'm not at all sure that that's much or any of an improvement, certainly not in literal meaning--i was trying to go for something else, but it is also eminently possible i did not Understand.
fwiw i found a lot of the translated longer poems in the book i have rather over-flowery as well, in translation that is; it gives me sort of a claustrophobic feeling. desafortunadamente i don't speak Spanish nearly well enough to know if i'd like a number of them better in the original.
sigh--I wish poetry did that for me. I don't get poetry too much, although I love how you describe it, and I am really learning to like this neruda fella.
I think poetry is something you have to experience with another person--I get knocked on my ass every time I see a new def poetry jam clip and i once saw suheir hammad live and almost died.
THis never used to happen to me tho--but I never thought to read poetry to or with another person. And I think all this time i've been reading the wrong poetry.
That cloud of reluctance still hangs over me tho--I think I'm with the right crowd tho--eventually i'll probably wind up loving the hell out of it, just because I keep reading all the amazing stuff everybody keeps posting.
Post a Comment
<< Home