did someone whistle? I couldn't hear it.
It's amazing how many layers of meaning you can pack into a little sermon if you know what you're doing. I know: sermons are my stock in trade. And they're also the primary arsenal for aw-shucks just-plain-folks evangelical Republican Mike Huckabee, who stumped for John McCain at the Republican National Convention with a speech that made my jaw drop.
Let me explain why. Excerpts of Huckabee's homily follow, in fine sermon style; toward the end of his speech, he pulled out a seemingly-unrelated story, then called forth a moral and a theme, and then wove that theme back into his prior subject matter, the imperative to vote for the McCain-Palin ticket. The first parts of his oration are basically irrelevant boilerplate about how Barack Obama hugs terrorists and blushingly gives them boxes of candy. And then he gets into the oft-told tale of McCain's capture and torture, following with remarks about McCain's efforts to lift his arms and how he gave for us, so we should all be grateful. That's when Huckabee slides smoothly into Sermontown:
Allow me to tell you about someone who understands this type of sacrifice better than anyone.
McCain? No, not yet: a schoolteacher who is in no way a stand-in for Sarah Palin, a young woman who overcomes doubt and skepticism to teach people about how we ought to be more grateful to veterans like a certain J.M.
On the first day of school in 2005, Martha Cothren, a teacher at Joe T. Robinson High School in Little Rock, was determined that her students would not take their education or their privilege as Americans for granted. With the principal's permission, she removed all the desks from her classroom. The students entered the empty room and asked, "Mrs. Cothren, where are our desks?" "You get a desk when you tell me how you earn it," she replied.And this is where, reading this aloud, I said suddenly to my partner, Oh, I hope this doesn't go where I think it's about to go. If you've spent much time in evangelical circles or surrounded by them, you'll know what I'm talking about any moment. The golden question of the moment is: how, Teacher? How do we earn our place in...the classroom?
"Making good grades?" asked one student.Being good won't earn it for you, see. You're required to work hard and succeed and follow the rules in order to show you're among the people who have a right to a desk, but there's nothing you can do--no action, no works--that can earn the desk for you. Listen to the Teacher--there's a price for the desks you can't pay. They'll be apportioned according to some other criterion. Getting warmer?
"You ought to make good grades, but that won't get you a desk," Martha responded.
"I guess we have to behave," offered another.
"You WILL behave in my class," Mrs. Cothren retorted, "but that won't get you a desk either."
No one in first period guessed right. Same for second period. By lunch, the buzz was all over campus... Mrs. Cothren had flipped out ....wouldn't let her students have a desk. Kids had used their cell phones and called their parents. By early afternoon, all 4 of the local network TV affiliates had camera crews at the school to report on the teacher who wouldn't let her students have a desk unless they could tell her how they earned it. By the final period, no one had guessed correctly. As the students filed in, Martha Cothren said, "Well, I didn't think you would figure it out, so I'll have to tell you."Now, this is sermon-ese for "I am about to use this character as a stand-in for a moment while she (I) hammers home the big arrow-shaped sign toward my point--her point--you know." I'm a preacher at heart, you may have noticed, and I know these things. It helps that the character is beleaguered by parents and media who don't understand, sort of like teachers who push Creationism in schools, or like unpopular political leaders we know are really misunderstood maverick heroes doing what they have to to get a message across. She'll try novel things, that teacher who isn't Sarah Palin, in order to show you the light. Nobody can comprehend the answer on their own, after all. They need someone to spell it out for them, because there's no way any of these lowly mortal students can think their way to a desk, either. It's almost like those desks stand for something all metaphor-like.
Martha opened the door of her classroom. In walked 27 veterans, some wearing uniforms from years gone by, but each one carrying a school desk. As they carefully and quietly arranged the desks in neat rows, Martha said, "You don't have to earn your desks...these guys already did. They went halfway around the world, giving up their education and interrupting their careers and families so you could have the freedom you have. No one charged you for your desk. But it wasn't really free. These guys bought it for you. And I hope you never forget it. " I wish we all would remember that being American is not just about the freedom we have. It's about those who gave it to us.Okay, so this seems pretty straightforward, a repeat of the earlier message: freedom is dearly bought, and everything you will ever have in this country is due to our military, and you should be grateful to them for all of it. And hey! One's running for President!
Ladies and Gentlemen, John McCain is one of those people who helped buy the freedom that we enjoy and the school desks we had.Wait, wait, hold the phone, though. That was the theme before. What were all those metaphors and allegories? Let's back up and review. Why should we be grateful to these military veterans?
"You don't have to earn your desks...these guys already did."Your desk, your place in the room, can't be earned. You can't behave well enough to get one, work enough to get one, think enough to get one. It is impossible for you to deserve a place to sit before your teacher, see. Looks pretty hopeless, doesn't it? But wait! You don't have to earn Grace--I mean, a desk--someone else has already earned it for you. And you can have it, for free! Someone else bought the desks by sacrifice, by spilling their blood on foreign soil, so that even though you can't earn a desk, it can be given to you by your benevolent authority figure because a heroic intermediary bled to provide it for you.
Are we getting some clarity yet? Shall we break it down? Good sermons come in layers, and Huckabee is good at sermons. Here's the first layer of the story:
An innovative teacher chooses an offbeat way to illustrate to her young students that everything they have is owed to soldiers, who should be honored for their sacrifice and given deference.Okay. Check. Here's the second layer:
Standing in front of you is a military veteran John McCain, who is like the soldiers in this story. He sacrificed a lot to provide to you, the people, your luxuries and your very way of life. He, like these soldiers, is being presented to you by a younger woman who wants to use innovative methods to showcase his worth. Honor his service by voting for him.But we're still missing a layer. Let's back it up--who else are these soldiers like? Allow me, gentle reader, to sum up:
There's something you need, a right to be in a particular place, that you can't earn by any kind of exertion, virtue, or intelligence. It has to be given to you, but you don't actually deserve it, and left alone, you will never figure out how to get it. Luckily, someone's showed up to tell you how to get it for free. It's already been purchased by someone else, someone better, who spilled their blood in order to secure the blessing of this thing for you even though you don't deserve and can't earn it. And all you need to do is honor them in order to benefit.Sound familiar yet? Please tell me it does. This is the doctrine of "Grace, Not Works" or "Grace Alone," a theological position expounded during the Reformation, cuddled by Calvin, and popular among evangelical Christians. It's not a desk, it's a place in Heaven. And it's not soldiers we're talking about, it's Jesus Christ. Don't buy the connection of this story as an allegory for the doctrine of Grace Alone? Here's a few ways to put it. And the guy talking is clergy in a denomination that holds this doctrine dear, so he knows what he's doing and who his audience is. Let's plug this little revelation back in to Huckabee's sermon at RNC and see what happens:
Let me tell you about a guy who can't lift his arms because he was tortured by enemy soldiers and sacrificed for your freedom. Think about it like desks in a classroom, where you can't earn or deserve a place to sit--but someone better than you or me went out there and sacrificed himself, spilled his own blood in order to dearly purchase for you your place at the table. His sacrifice redeems you when you wouldn't have been able to make it there on your own, and now you can have a desk, a place, a spot in Heaven if you just believe in and honor him.Who's that man who sacrificed for you, who could have bought his own freedom by simply renouncing his creed, but stayed to be tortured in order to free you?
Allow me to tell you about someone who understands this type of sacrifice better than anyone.Has your jaw dropped to where mine was yet? Because I'm pretty sure, in this campaign where they're already painted the opposition as the Antichrist, they just labeled their candidate Jesus Christ.
Ladies and Gentlemen, John McCain is one of those people who helped buy the freedom that we enjoy and the school desks we had.
Labels: americana, journalism, religion
24 Comments:
Yikes.
I saw the third layer pretty quick, though it didn't quite sink in immediately.
But I think there's another part of the third layer that you didn't touch on, that's perhaps even scarier? Or maybe just as bad in a different way.
OK, so on prosaic level, the desk is education, a place in a classroom. At the religious level, it's redemption--a place in Heaven. At the political level, it's OUR FREEDOMS--as US Citizens? John McCain sacrificed himself for our freedoms blah blah blah, *suffering at the hands of foreign brown people*. The Adversary and all that.
I haven't gone and read more of the sermon than your post, but doesn't it deify not only McCain but the military itself? Doesn't it mark the American people as the elect, and the rest of the world as the people-who-are-going-to-hell-anyways-so-it-doesn't-matter-if-you-kill-them? That no matter how good or innocent the rest of the world may be their souls are forfeit anyways?
How does this impact immigration, with not being able to "earn a path to citizenship" and all?
Ok, I just can't keep walking down this road, it's no good for me, and it can be taken to justify so so so much bad shit... I hope *I'm* not reading too much into it.
[[It should be noted that this is hardly the first time Christ-metaphors have been made about candidates, not that I can think of others specifically, except that W was said to have a direct line with God, and GWB's word wasn't law it was Law...which isn't really that different...]]
I'm so glad I'm not watching the RNC, but I'm even gladder that there are incisive, penetrating minds like yours. Well done, LL.
Much Protestant theology—especially in some of its earliest incarnations—is pretty scary. The elect? Faith over works? Absolute predestination? It saddens me to think that we're still living with a lot of this today—not simply in the evangelical Christian world, but in many other religions as well. Judaism is, of course, the example I know best. And what are these odious rabbis like Lazer Brody always telling you? You need to have more emunah, more faith. If only Olmert was a True Believer, Israel would be saved. If you're having problems in your marriage, start believing in God—but don't bother actually doing anything. And so on.
Again, thank you for this excellent post. It's truly one of your best, and it's one of the best-reasoned pieces of both political and religious analysis that I've seen in a long time.
I think you should also send this over to The Revealer.
Great post.
I skipped most of the speech, but it was pretty typical stuff. Obama's approach that he is like the messiah, reflected by Huckabee's speech that McCain is the messiah.
Consider this a trackback.
I picked up on the Christ connection at this point:
And then he gets into the oft-told tale of McCain's capture and torture, following with remarks about McCain's efforts to lift his arms and how he gave for us, so we should all be grateful.
I totally agree with your analysis.
I don't think this particular dogwhistle portrayal is anything different than what's been happening over the last 8 years. See in particular the photographs at http://www.theocracywatch.org/bush2.htm...
fake trackback, because I don't think tumblr does trackbacks!
I didn't watch the speech, and frankly as a former Christian school kid I am embarrassed it didn't click for me till you brought up Grace--but the second I saw that word it suddenly came flooding back and immediately fell into place. Damn. That's intense.
fake trackback, because I don't think tumblr does trackbacks!
I didn't watch the speech, and frankly as a former Christian school kid I am embarrassed it didn't click for me till you brought up Grace--but the second I saw that word it suddenly came flooding back and immediately fell into place. Damn. That's intense.
*Whee-ooh!* Went right over this secular Jew's head, until I got to the words Jesus Christ.
Then again, I think it was meant to...is that not the purpose of dog whistles?
In the immortal words of Keanu: "whoa."
I'll be linking.
The layers are really pretty simple, unless you can't psychologically consider an analogy of Republicans being Jesus Christ (Larry Craig, do you have the time).
More interestingly, seems to me that, like George Washington at Valley Forge, and John McCain in Vietnam, every generation has to have folks who will stand up and stand for our Constitution freedoms (at least the ones left after this administration). John McCain did his time - so that most of you don't have to.
This must be why Catholics tend to vote Democratic: your place in Heaven is earned through good works, rather than predestination.
I'm a Christian, and I didn't see that, and I still don't think it's necessarily what Huckabee was driving at. The desks were pretty clearly a metaphor for freedom; Huckabee even spelled it out. I liked the story, but disagreed with the moral - but my issue with it is far more simple.
The Vietnam veterans, including McCain, weren't fighting for America's freedom. I don't mean this to denigrate them - many of them surely felt they were doing so, and went out of love and loyalty to their country. But it's a simple fact that America's freedom was never at stake in that war. America left Vietnam in the end, and leaving didn't do anything to take away it's freedom. The people fighting for freedom, for independence from foreign domination, were the Vietnamese.
This story does not even make sense without the religious interpretation.
Soldiers do not earn us desks, local tax-payers purchase them.
Huckabee could have said the soldiers earned for us something else in the classroom - the flag. That would at least make sense, but it is clear that his real intended meaning was the religious interpretation presented here.
Oh wow... I knew there was a reason I avoided Huckabee's blather.
This must be why Catholics tend to vote Democratic: your place in Heaven is earned through good works, rather than predestination.
I'd like to edit that sentence, if I may:
"your place in Heaven is earned through good works, rather than making war on innocent people and calling it predestination."
You betcha!
Great work. You should be writing for a major publication, decoding Evangelical speech for we who were raised as heathens in the Northeast.
oh, wow, this is sharp and deep. and yeah, the whistling's gone far and wee, but I would never have caught this. -shudder-
Palin's hitting the theocratic drum pretty hard herself, natch.
...and specifically, the military as God/freedom works really well with the whole "Crusades" business wrt the war in the Middle East...
You are missing the bigger picutre. Give Huckabee credit for bringing in something deeper to the political posturings whether decmocrat or republican. Our country and our communities are served and advanced by sacrifices of others, the military especially. Sure there are analogies to Jesus in the broader sense of community sacrifice sure, but you're really stretching it when you purport it to be a secret message to evangelicals. Get a life.
I think that saying Huckabee labeled McCain Jesus Christ misses what the rhetoric is really doing. Now, maybe you're saying it for rhetorical effect, but the construction of human beings as Christ figures are standard tropes not only in sermons, but in literature and film across the board (The Dark Knight, anyone?). Few Christians will ever mistake a Christ-figure for Christ because the Bible is made up of flawed humans who look like Christ in one aspect or another. King David was a Christ figure, but he was the guy who committed adultery and murdered the lady's husband. However, the soldier-sacrifice to Christ-sacrifice comparison is so old, pervasive, and divorced from any need to frame it in Biblical or theological terms that I doubt even many evangelicals would read Huckabee's speech the way you suggest it was intended to be read.
Typological reading can lead to a lot of really dangerous political ideas, but I don't think that this speech indicates quite what you claim it does.
http://digitalcuttlefish.blogspot.com/2008/09/praisin-mccain.html
Late arriving to the party, but this is a very good (if horrifying) post.
And on a practical level...do none of these kids realize that they don't need desks to sit, necessarily? That's what the ground and the gluteus is good for, and learning can still take place without those uncomfy wood-plastic furnishings (observe many preschool settings.) Now indulging in a little "harrumph, if I was there..." Harrumph, if I was there I'd gladly plant my butt on the floor and let her carry on with the lesson, desk or no stinking desk--and the good grade would be both earned and deserved. There's more to life than just...desks. Jeez.
Post a Comment
<< Home